Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Daleville, VA

(added some more info since last night's update)

Sorry for not updating in a while, I had no time in Pearisburg, as we did an in-and-out resupply of sorts. Stayed the night but were only there in the evening, so no library visit for me. Tonight I'm in Daleville, I think. It's kind of a big interchange of two highways and an interstate, between Daleville and Troutville. Fast food, gas stations, and motels... quite a difference from my previous week of mountaintop sunsets, trees, and lots and lots of rocks. And though I have many gripes against this civilization into which I've just jumped back into, sure is nice to get a shower, and gorge myself on food.

Been pushing some big miles lately. Enoch has family he's meeting for Shennendoah N.P. and I'm trying to meet up with a friend up near there too. Out of Pearisburg, did a 12, then a 20, two 18s and today a 24. My body hurts.

Been a good few days though. The first night out we were up on Symms Meadow, which has taken Max Patch's place as best campsite so far. Had a great view (the meadow was on a mountain ridge), with a perfect sunset and an amazing sunrise. A new friend, "Simply" had some whiskey, and Enoch and I ate quesedillas for dinner (KBomb had packed himself out a strip steak and corn on the cob!). The weather has been great too, except for today, with a lot of rain, fog, and cooler temps.

The fog and rain really kind of blew the day, really. We had camped just a bit past VA 624, after stopping at a gas station for burgers and hotdogs, next to a stream. But there was cow shit around, so we didn't get any water, had a dry night. We hiked for 6 miles before we could eat breakfast (besides candy bars), aiming for a shelter with a clean water source, a seasonal spring, which turned out to be dry. Shit. So we had another candy bar, and hiked the mile to the next shelter, where there was a year-round spring. But the skies dumped on us in the meantime; and with the temperature drop, we were freezing cold for hours. It didn't help that we didn't pur rain gear on, so we were soaked to the bone. Hiked all day in wet shoes, and here's the kicker. McAffee Knob and Tinker Cliffs are supposed to have great views, but with the fog, there was nothing to see, especially on the Knob. It was like staring into the void, just a pure whiteness. I had been looking forward to that section too, so it was a big disappointment. S0 being tired and sore, plus wet and viewless, the day was a bit crappy. Yet it seemed to improve all day, from being in a terrible mood in the morning, to happy as a pig in shit by nightfall. Not a bad way to live a day, I guess. Improvement is always good.

Anyways, I'm zeroing here tomorrow. We're all pretty tired, and I don't know if we're going to make our schedules. I myself haven't slept good in a few days, thanks to a too-warm sleeping bag, lots and lots of bug bites (I hate no-see-ums), and extremely loud snorers in the last two shelters we stayed at. Makes a man want to camp out all the time, but when you're tired, you don't always feel like setting up camp. So here's to a nice day off and lots of eating!

Oh and by the way, if I find the hiker who's spreading the lie that Virginia is flat, I am going to kill him. Kill him dead.

5 comments:

Megs said...

YAY!! An update! I was getting worried about you! Glad to hear you are doing good. Your blog msg sounds very upbeat so that makes me happy happy happy! Yay Brandon! Ok so Im a dork, like this is a shocker or something! ;o) (I bet you are smiling)
I received your email, glad you like the tunes. I bet it helps out and as much of a musical person that you are, I cant imagine how awesome it is to finally have some good music to rock out to! Did you hear the two "surprise" songs Mike and I put on there for you?
Glad to hear you are taking a zero day...eat up and enjoy the down time. Talk to you soon!
I love you and cant wait to hear from you again......

Megs said...

Oh and I need to do a shout out!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, DAD! YAY, Dad!!!! Whooohooooo! ;o)

Brandon said...

yes, i think i heard them. backwards, and awful beautiful life? had the second one stuck in my head for days, very excellent. :-)

Megs said...

Yay! Glad you liked them! I made mom listen to the Backwards song and she laughed! Mike loves that song. The Awful Beautiful Life song is the one I thought you would totally dig, its one of my favorites. Not a bad one to get stuck in your head, huh? ;0) Call me one of these days when you can, I miss your voice! I'm still looking for a job (my 90 year old passed away last month) so Lord knows I am around, just working away on Mike's house! I can't wait to move out of Michigan. Its really hard finding work right now here. :0(
I love you! Sending you a big hug!!!!

DAD said...

Hello Brandon! Your mom and I really enjoyed talking to you yesterday, it's been awhile since hearing any word of your where abouts... I guess those bear stories, or that movie "deliverance" always keeps us wondering. I'm glad that the hiking seems to become easier as you develop the wanderer's leg strength, and the foot and knee problems have eased. Over 700 miles, well done, the half way point is getting closer every day! Stay safe,were all thinking of you, and praying that all's well! Love, dad