Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Franklin NC

Well, I made it to my first new state! North Carolina has much bigger mountains than GA, it's great. Loving the downhills; the climbs are damn hard on me though. I renamed Albert Mountain; it's now officially Asskick Mountain. 360 degree view from the top, if you climb the old firetower. Too bad I didn't have any pics left on my roll of film. But I had one of my newfound hiking partners take a shot and email it to me so at least there's that. Me and Hatchet have sorta teamed up with these two guys from Kansas, they've been a bunch of fun; one of them is the one who took the pic. Also been trying to hike with those girls from Detroit I mentioned before... problem is we go a little faster and no one wants to slow down; we sometimes meet up with them at the campsites, more often not. It's a work in progress.

I'm in Franklin tonight, somewhat against my wishes, as Hatchet was thinking about giving up and wanted to rest his legs and boost his spirits. He's currently getting drunk. It's a bit early for me, and truth be told I'm kind of annoyed to have to spend another night in town so soon after Hiawassee, but I don't want to lose my hiking partner. Doing this trail really depends on the people you're with. The physical part can be tough, but my body is adapting. Even my foot is mostly better, as long as I hike in my moccasins. The hardest part can be the mental part. Was feeling pretty depressed the other morning; insomnia struck and I ended up thinking about a lot of shit I shouldn't be. It makes hiking hard, because your head isn't in it. Fortunately I have so many cool people around me most of the day that I can at least keep going. Eventually things get better.

Still, I'd rather be spending my nights and zero days in the woods. You don't bleed money out there. I have a long way to go to get to Maine, and I seem to spend 80 bucks or so when we stay in these towns, and I want to do this on the cheap. I just gotta get that through Hatchet's head.

7 comments:

Megs said...

Hi Brandon!
This is the first time we checked out your log (thanks to Meg) and we are glad to hear about your hiking partners and that you havent been eaten by a bear! :o)
Now that Meaghan showed me how to check your blog, I can keep up with your journey and mom wont worry so much! Haha! (She really isnt worrying just thinking about you!)
Keep on truckin and keep on bloggin!!!
Remember you have the WHOLE FAMILY routin for your success!! Damn stubborn McGinnitys! Haha!
We love you so much and are so proud of you! More than you know, kid!
Dad & Mom (Mollie too) :o)

Oooooh and dont forget GO BLUE!!!!

DAD said...

hey,b! i hope all is well and that the weather is getting better. i think of you lots, as always, but i am so proud of your strength and motivation...you are a bigger person than i. i love you...keep intouch! love,mom

Shawn said...

Hey Moccasin,

It is good to hear you that you have met some good people on the trail. I have been thinking about you often and wondering how it was going for you. Hopefully the weather will soon improve and lift your spirits. Take care of yourself and know you are in our thoughts. Love uncle shawn and the gang.

Tim McGinnity said...

Hi Brandon Moccasin!
Wow, great to hear from you and that the black bears haven't got you guys.
I've driven over some of the mountains in NC and I think I once fractured my foot pressing on the brakes! Scared me jsut trying to stay on the road.
Keep up the great work and be careful, especially of those girls from DETROIT! They can be worse than black bears.
Ucle Tim & Aunt Sue

Megs said...

Hey B! You just crossed my mind...wanted to tell you that I love you and miss you! Hope all is well on the trail. Looking VERY forward to your next update!! :o)

DAD said...

Brandon called April 17, near the town of GATLINBURG NC, he sound great,although he's struggling with a very sore achilles tendon that occured a down hill trek he did at too fast of a speed. He finally said he's going to get some quality hiking boots at the next town he's at. since he melted his running shoes at a camp fire...that's my boy!!! Also that the moccins are great to hike in untill they get wet(which is most of the time)so to avoid getting trench foot the boots are a top priority.I could have swore I told him that once or twice on our trips in the porcupine mts... but what does dad know anyway...haha! He made the call on some one's cell phone from the camp, gave Amy a few items to throw in his next care package to be sent to a post office ahead on the trail. Well this is just a little news for the family thats tracking MOCCASIN MAN on the trail. take care you all!! Marty

Anonymous said...

HEY BRANDON MOCCASIN MAN,

I SEE YOU HAVENT BEEN ABLE TO GET TO A BLOG SPOT SINCE YOUR LAST NOTE. HOPE THIS FINDS YOU WELL, HOPEFULLY DRY FOR A CHANGE.

SAW YOUR DAD'S NOTE, ACHILLES TENDONITIS IS SUCH A PAIN, ESPECIALLY W/ WHAT YOUR DOING ALL THE TIME NAMELY WALKING. DIP YOE HEEL IN SOME COLD MOUNTAIN STREAMS AND SOME IBUPROFEN MAY HELP. BUT MOSTLY IT'S "TINCTURE OF TIME" TILL IT HEALS.

I HAVE TRIED 3 TIMES TO WRITE BUT WHEN I GO TO SEND IT NEVER EXCEPTS MY PASS WORD THEN I LOOSE THE NOTE WHEN I GO TO CORRECT IT. HOPEFULLY THIS WILL MAKE IT.

IF YOU GET A CHANCE, GO BACK TO THE COMMENTS IN YOUR FIRST BLOG, SOMEHOW MY MID APRIL NOTE IS ATTACHED WAY BACK AT THE BGINNING.

TAKE CARE, KNOW YOUR IN OUR PRAYERS FOR A SAFE JOURNEY.

GOD BLESS,

UNKA MIKE