Thursday, April 24, 2008

Hot Springs.

Something is wrong with me, something is SERIOUSLY wrong with me. On the walk in to Hot Springs this morning, I found myself feeling strangely happy--yes, happy--to hear car traffic. It was like music to my ears. I never would have thought I'd feel that way about the sound of engines. Seems like I've spent years dreaming of being far, far away from them, and here I am, feeling comforted by them. Weird.

So yeah, I'm in Hot Springs this morning. Had a cup of coffee at a diner (having way too much food in my bag to consider buying any) and was really enjoying the music they had on. James Taylor, Jimmy Buffet, acoustic stuff like that. Damn I miss music, probably one of the things I miss the most actually. Hatchet and I had on a great country station at Standing Bear, for as long as the rest of the people there would stand it, and it was like a little bit of heaven. I may end up buying a crank-up radio like Hatchet had for my listening pleasure, it's worth the weight.

Been hiking alone the last few days, as I mentioned Hatchet is off the trail. I meet up with people in the evenings but I'll admit, it's been hard lately. Hatchet would usually walk behind me, because I walk so slow that he joked that he never got tired (meanwhile I'm gasping my way up the hills, haha). He'd always be running his mouth, and the conversation really moved the hike along. Now I'm playing a serious mental game with myself, fighting off discouragement. I hope I can catch up to Snap, Snack, and Clayton (who now goes by Enoch, meaning "walks with God"). Now that I'm mostly healed up, I might be able to keep up with them.

Well, beautiful as this town is, the daylight's burning and I must be on my way. Hope everyone is well at home, I miss you all. Onward to Erwin!

6 comments:

Megs said...

YAY! Glad to hear you are doing better with your injuries! You had me laughing my ass off that YOU were happy to hear traffic! ;o) I miss you and cant wait until you can call me again! Keep on keeping on! I look forward to all your updates! :o)

~Your big sis

DAD said...

hi,brandon! i wanted to jot you a note and see if you are reading your comments, when you blog on. please let us know, as alot of folks are enjoying communicating with you. i miss you a bunch, but i am allowed to say so cuz i am your "mom"! i have been catching some great april rays-it has been sunny and mid 70's the past 5 days! also wanted to let you know that i got your new t-shirt cleaned...as only a "mom" could do...yeah! i think aboutcha alot, my son and i love you. keep on the beat and be sweet and treat me to a phone call soon, cuz that would be neat! ha! love, mom

DAD said...

hey my man! Mom sent you that as you know ... hey that first line that something was seriously wrong with you....your mom and I nearly gasp for a breath...glad to hear you not going to be a mountain man all your life, and still miss some of the nice things of modern life...mainly sleeping in a soft bed or hot showers or music...remember on our hiking trips how we craved the most fatting foods, and some cold beer! That was a lot of fun that night sitting out late looking at the stars after a good meal and splitng that 12 pack!!!Glad to hear your sore musles are healing and your hiking more at full health...maybe I could send you a rosary for on the trail...great meditation prayer and fills some of the silence on the trail,as you know one of my favorites.Keeping on trucking son, love you dad

Anonymous said...

Hey Brandon! Michelle from Psp here! We got your post card and it's hanging up under the schedule for everybody to read. Anyway, just wanted to let you know that there are a few of us reading and rooting for you. We look forward to your next post card!

Anonymous said...

Hey, Michelle again. As soon as you can, you should call the store or me. My number is 248-224-7749. It's really important.

Brandon said...

Yeah, I read the comments. Glad to hear the weather is good up there. Nice rhymes, mom, good to see you're getting to know your inner rapper.