Sunday, April 20, 2008

Smokie Mountain Madness

Well, Franklin was ridiculous. Almost got kicked out; shouldn't have let the hippie group sneak in the motel room for showers and sleeping. Live and learn, I guess. We've outrun them since then, intentionally. I miss the music around the fire, though.

The smoky mountains were also ridiculous. Hatchet's leg gave out the day before, so he stayed at a hostel this last week while I hiked through them with Clayton (the Kansas guy) and Snap and Snack (that is, Rebbecca and Maggie, the Detroit girls). We left Fontana around 2:30, with 13.5 miles ahead of us. The dam was closed, so we had to go the 2.8 mile detour. My left ankle was pretty fucked up already, thanks to me running down a mountain trying to keep up with Hatchet and some girl we'd met a couple days prior. So, we hike up, and up, and up out of Fontana to the ridgeline and the 3 inches of snow that was up there. And then it starts getting dark.

Well, I've never been so exhausted in my life. We took no breaks, except when my crew waited for me to catch up, which means they got breaks, I didn't. I eventually had no choice but to put myself into a trance so I wouldn't feel any pain, and just push on. It worked, and I finally caught up with Maggie and just followed her. Didn't want to be hiking alone in the cold dark, especially with the thick fog that was forming. We finally made it to the Mollies Ridge shelter around 9 or so, and I swear the last hour of hiking I was not in my right mind. It was like I wasn't even there, there was just the breathing, and the walking.

I couldn't even eat when I got there, just sat by the fire trying to remember who I was, and get my breathing back to normal. Never breathed so deep and pure in my life. I dried off the sweat as best I could, having nothing to change into, crawled into my sleeping bag, and slept.

The rest of the Smokies was just a fog of pain. Great views, true, and great weather, but I limped the whole way through. Today, my ankle is feeling 80%, but my right foot bones are terribly sore from favoring the left ankle. Yesterday it was the foot and the knee. It never ends. Had my first serious thoughts of quitting yesterday because of it, but I saw a family of deer on the trail just looking at me, and took it as an omen. I'm here at Standing Bear Farm taking the day off, hoping that it will help. Hatchet is back, he actually met us at the Davenport Gap shelter (just a couple miles from here) this morning and carried my pack down to the road, where I hopped a shuttle in to the hostel. Good to have my hiking partner back. Found some boots here that pretty much fit, too, so I'll be giving them a shot. But rest assured, I do plan to hike in my mocc's when it's dry. Gotta live up to my name, dammit.

This hostel does beer runs too. Yay!

7 comments:

DAD said...

WOW!!! I'm feeling tired after that story. Then to find 3 inches of snow at the ridge, I think I whould have lost it! I'm hoping some of the foot and knee pains will lessen after your're walking in some boots... that is after you break them in. (pack some extra mole skin)When you get the chance you have to explain who you were running from in Franklin,the hippies or the owners of the hotel. Now that you sent home your tent how's that working out for sleeping in the weather your having? Do you sleep most nights in the lean to structures or on the open ground? Just a few of the many questions that keep going on in my head as I try to see the conditions your in. Brandon I'm going to end this now, but I just want to let you know your mom and I are praying every day for your saftey and strength of mind and body to be able to continue this trek...all our love, mom and dad.

Brandon said...

Wasn't running from anyone in Franklin, it was all smoothed over with the owner that night. But yeah we did outrun the hippie group, maybe a bit more on Hatchet's desire than mine. I haven't slept out at all with the tarp, stayed at the shelters the whole way. Most had indoor fireplaces, unique to the Smokies, but much appreciated.

My feet are doing better, especially once I get moving. We tried hiking today up to Max Patch, a mountain about 13 mi. from here, and I was doing fine, but Hatchet's leg is not well. He's probably done hiking, at least for a few weeks, which sucks. I think I'm going to spend the night here at the hostel again, then hike out tomorrow. I hate losing a partner like him, he's my closest friend out here; and now I'm behind the rest of my group again. Looks like I get to meet new people for a while till I catch up.

Can't remember if I said this, but I do have boots now; found them here at the hostel and they fit great, even found some insoles. Great luck! Worked well for the 4 miles I did today, even carrying two packs on the way back, as Hatchet could hardly walk. I feel guilty leaving him, but I also feel this hike is right for me at the moment, and that I should continue so long as I'm able. I hope that doesn't make me a bad friend.

Megs said...

Hey Brandon!!!!
I am SOOOOO sorry I missed your calls!! I was at the hospital (Mike's cousin just had her baby today!) and I have been so preoccupied with shit lately that my brain didnt even THINK that it might be you! UGH, dammit!!!! I WILL ANSWER all calls that I dont recognize from NOW ON! Regardless of what I am doing! Thank you for calling me though and giving me an update on how you are! I miss you! Call again soon!!! I love you SO much!!!!
I look forward to all your updates! I have even been doing some research on the trail! YAY! I like being able to follow where you are on my map! Doesnt make you seem so far away! I LOVE YOU, be safe and enjoy yourself! I hope your foot and knee pains go away super fast.... :O)

Love you love you love you,
~Meaghan

DAD said...

Hey Brandon! Just read your last note on hatchet's leg problems and your dilemma on whether you should continue to hike or hang with him until he recovers. I agree with you to keep going with the hope he can meet you farther up the trail when he's better. This is really becoming an endurance test of the max so just remember it may be you or another of your friends that has to stop next. The worst of it is that you really can't contact hatchet and let him know your location at any certain time so as to meet up again. Maybe trust in fate...and a educated guess on how many miles a day you are traveling.I hope those boots work out for you...has the foot, knee and tendon problems eased up. Remember what uncle Mike always says,"better life thru pharmacy drugs"... or something like that!!! Well son, don't forget this isn't a race so find your pace and just follow your heart on what to do...love you dad!

Julie said...

Hey Brandon!! It is so good to know that you are having a good time. It sounds like you are making some good friends too. Are the detroit girls cute and single? Maybe that's why you sent home your tent. (not big enough for three and you have twin heaters!!!) Just kidding. Anyway, I am so proud of you. This does not sound like an easy journey, but a mind cleansing one. I bet the scenery is breathtaking. Hopefully, you'll have a lot of pictures to look at when you return. We are all praying for you. I look forward to sharing jack with you upon your return. NOT!!!!!!!! Anyway, take care and keep typing away. It is fascinating to read and to try to picture where you are.

Love ya,

Julie

Mike said...

Hey whats up Brandon I heard of your ailments and I think I may have adapted a sports medicine fix to your problem it should be easy to come by and small enough to carry with you. In the next town that you are at you will need to buy a bungee cord and a roll of duct tape (if it don't work DUCT it). If you take the bungee apart(unwrap the outer skin) it is a series of rubber tubes tape one end around your calf about mid way (make sure it is not to tight or you will cause other problems) and pull the other end of the tubes taught under your heel and attach it at the base of your toes. Make sure your foot is dorsi flexed(with your toes pointed down like you are pushing off) when you do this the bungee cord will act as your achilles tendon taking some of the stress off of the injured one. The only down side is that it will not get stronger with walking so when you rest you can do some light strengthening like toe raises. But it should work until it heals up. The other foot will follow it will be fine when the two are working 50-50 instead of carrying the majority of the load. We used to tape up soccer and basketball players with the same thing just using medical grade equipment but i dont think you have access to all that and this is essentially the same thing. I am going to send the proper things to do it with a diagram in the box that your parents are sending to you next but this will work until then. And it should be easy enough to carry with you when you don't need it. And I agree with your dad you should keep on trucking. It sucks having to leave your friends behind to continue on the path that is right for you but sometimes that gives others the motivation to catch up. But enjoy yourself up there and I look forward to tracking you along the way and hearing again from you SOON (so your sister doesn't go nuts) Take in the scenery and bring back some pics of your adventures to make us all jealous. Talk to you soon. Have FUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Uncle Matt said...

Hey Brandon,
I've really enjoyed reading about your journey so far although, strangely, my feet suddenly hurt. You are really taking on a beast of a hike - it sounds exhausting and exhilarating at the same time. Good luck on healing up while still logging some pretty healthy miles. Good thing you're young - your old uncles sure couldn't pull it off! BTW, we're all jealous of you - I'm sure we all would love to to have the freedom to take a long break from daily grind of our jobs - hey, we want to be just like your Dad! Take good care of yourself. Stay strong. Love ya,
Uncle Matt