Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Greasy Creek Friendly Hostel @ Greasy Gap

EDITS: first, I named the hostel wrong, this is the Greasy Creek Friendly, not the Hiker Friendly. Second, Snap has a blog, which has pictures. She doesn't seem to update it much, but you can see some of the people I'm hiking with. Check it out here: www.maggieandbeki.blogspot.com

Updating two days in a row. Taking a nearo (near zero, that is) at the Greasy Creek Friendly Hostel, ~22 miles out of Erwin. The woman who runs this made me a FANTASTIC turkey sandwich, almost exactly like the one I'd been dreaming of the other day. Ah, sweet heaven.

So... after my 23ish mile day getting into Erwin, thanks to the damn detour around the Forest Service's controlled burn area (which included the shelter I planned to stay at), I only planned on doing a 4 mile day out of town; just up to the first shelter. When I got there, a girl named Motor Butt was there, bundled up in her sleeping bag in the middle of the day, reading the shelter register (where hikers leave little journal entries). Said that she and the weather (rainy, cold) were fighting. We get to talking a bit, and I mention I live in Michigan... she giggles. I'm like, what's so funny about Michigan? and she says she just met a girl from there. I'm like, it's Snap, isn't it? And it was. Apparently they left the very same shelter just 15 minutes before I got there.

Well of course I had to run after; I'd been trying to catch that group for a week, dammit. So onward 12 more miles. Sigh. But I caught them up on Unicol Mountain, and hiked the last 2 miles with my crew. Much better than hiking alone. And I'm impressed with myself, actually. Just a couple weeks ago, I nearly died in the Smokies doing 10 miles nonstop; yesterday, I did 11 miles without stopping even for a drink of water, hardly took a breather. Now, usually I sweat a ton, like I have a personal water source on my forehead (salty, unfortunately). With it being cool the last 2 days, I can go much longer.

Not trying to brag or anything, just kinda amazed by how quickly I'm adapting to the hiking, my legs feel so strong. Been pulling some big miles, even injured I was doing 15s and 16s. But I don't want to keep it up. I'd like to pull into camp earlier, and be able to relax. Hopefully my crew is down with that. Anyways, when it's hot and the springs dry up, big days can be harder to pull off. And really, this is a vacation of sorts. Why make it into work?

Anyways, it was freezing last night. I didn't sleep at all, really. When I did wake up, there was snow waiting outside the shelter, and a steady 20mph wind. Getting going was hard this morning, even with only 6 miles planned. I definitely have more respect for my dad for working out in cold like that for so many years. Though it's not bad to hike in, once you warm up. But--and mom, I'm sorry for this--but I really can see why he hates the cold, even though I think it's warmer right now in Detroit than it is down here. I'm in full long johns, fleece, and rain coat. Y'all are probably in shorts.

8 comments:

Megs said...

HELL NO we aren't in shorts!!!! Its freaking cold here in Michigan AGAIN!!!! Grrrrrr...but I agree with you, B, dad sure is an amazing man for working in it for soooooo many years! I'm sorry to hear that it is cold for you at night. The heat will come though I hear from Eric and MaryAnne! VA will be hot...but you will be ok. I hope your crew wants to take it easy too for all of your sake when the heat kicks in. I'm so happy that you caught up with them and shit! BRAG AWAY!!!! You have reason to brag, little bro! You have sure covered some ground and have earned some bragging rights! YAY! :)
Looking forward to more updates!

Eric and Mary Anne said...

Way to go Brandon! You will be in VA before you know it. The weather will warm up, but it should be comfortable....not too hot. Give us a ring along the way.

Take care....Happy trails

Eric and Mary Anne

Brandon said...

Eric and Mary Anne, I definitely do plan on calling you up when I get up near you. I gotta get your number from my folks, but yeah, it'd be great to see you.

sorry to hear it's cold up in MI. Don't worry, it's almost May, it'll break soon, for both of us.

Anonymous said...

Hey Brandon
I have been following you along the way reading your blog. What an amazing experience you are having.
We here in Luck are proud of you and excited to hear about it. Sorry to here about the cold weather. Keep bragging and keep trailing on!

Megs said...

UPDATE:

I talked to Brandon today and he sounds great!!! Him and his crew were gonna take it easy today since they all have been pushing alot of miles lately, some doing over 20 miles a day he told me! Holy shit!!! It was SO awesome talking to him and hearing how good things are going. He told me I could get his film developed that he has sent home so all of us following his progress can see what he has been seeing. I will hopefully have them up this weekend and will provide a link to them.
I hope you are all well! YAY BRANDON!!!! :)

DAD said...

Hi Brandon! I just visited your friend Snaps blog site that has some pictures of you and your trail companions, it's cool to see because you really get a feel of the conditions your in, the landscape and even if there are leaves on the trees yet. We're finally enjoying some spring here with the tree blooming, flowering shrubs, tulips and such...damn that was the longest winter but now only a bad dream. Anyway it was great to see your face on Snaps blog, and by the way your mail showed up here today with film containers,fuel bottle...etcwe will develope the film, just got to see them!! Take care son, God bless and protect you all!!! love pop

DAD said...

"An Ode in Rap to Moccassin" Hey Brandon, we're diggin' your Appalachian trip! Love that you BLOG and leave a little quip! GO BRANDON! GO BRANDON! We sure do feel like we're right there witcha...just so happy that a bear ain't bitcha! GO BRANDON! GO BRANDON! The sights you're seein' sure sound so thrillin'; beats bein' at a dentist for some major drillin'! GO BRANDON! GO BRANDON! Just a little tip before you're poopin' in the hole,make sure it's not owned by a hairy little mole! GO BRANDON! GO BRANDON! Drink alot of water so you don't get dry, and keep away from mellow-wicky so you don't be getting high! GO BRANDON! GO BRANDON! Be watchin' where you're going, pick up your feet, cuz broken bones and sprains ain't too sweet! GO BRANDON1 GO BRANDON! When you're scaling up the mountains,thinkin' bout some grub, and thinkin' bout a bath in a big ol' tub, 'member why you ventured on this special trek; even if you're achin', say "what the heck?!" GO BRANDON! GO BRANDON! So keep on truckin',Brandon, have fun and 'member this...we all miss you a bunch and we send you a GREAT BIG KISS! MWAA! I hope you were keeping a RAP beat in your head as you read this! Ha! love you...mom and julie...we wrote this at work today, but i left out some of julie's more pervertic poetic ideas!

Brandon said...

Mom, you are ridiculous! Julie too! But in a good way. Everyone here loved your rap, especially the part about pooping in a hole.